If you are having trouble printing from Hosted ResiDex, the following steps are the most common solutions to printing problems our users encounter.
1. The Basics
It is important to verify the basics before moving onto advanced troubleshooting steps. They may seem simple, but checking these first can save a lot of time.
- Is the printer plugged in & turned on?
- Does the printer have paper? Toner / Ink?
- Is there a paper jam?
- Can you print a test page? (go to Start > Control Panel > Devices & Printers, Right-Click the printer you want to test, Select "Printer Properties." Press the "Print a test page" button.
If you can't print a test page, there is likely a problem with your printer or your connection to it. We recommend connecting with your I.T. staff and asking them for assistance.
If you've had no problems so far that is good news: there is very likely nothing wrong with your printer. At this point, you should try rebooting your printer and your computer.
2. Reconnect to the Server
If you can confirm the basics, above, try reconnecting to our server. To do this, go to the upper left hand corner of your open Residex session and click on the 'File' and then 'Exit' buttons. This will close your Residex session in the server.
Log back in; Residex will re-establish the connection to your printer. Try again to print from Residex.
3. Remote Desktop Printer Sharing
Another common issue with printing, is Remote Desktop printer sharing might not be enabled.
- Go to the Start menu, select "All Programs" > "Accessories" > Remote Desktop Connection.
- Press the "Options >>" button. This will give you the full view of all the Remote Desktop options.
- Select the "Local Resources" Tab, and make sure "Printers" is checked, & close remote desktop.
4. Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1
If you're using a Windows computer, Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1 is required in order to print. This is pre-installed in Windows (Vista & Later) and is simple for an Administrative user to enable.
5. Operating System Updates
- Make sure you have all available Windows Updates installed or you are using the current most up-to-date version of Mac OS
6. ThinPrint: The Ultimate Solution
- Go to the Start Menu
- Right Click on "Computer" or "My Computer" > Select "Properties
- If the computer is 64 bit, it will say "64 bit operating system, x64 based processor" or something similar.
- If the computer is 32 bit, it MAY tell you it is a "32 bit operating system, x86 based processor" BUT it may not say anything at all - if it doesn't say "64 bit" or "x64" anywhere on the screen, it is 32 bit.
- If user has a 64 bit operating system, install "Client Windows 10 x64" - CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
- If user has a 32 bit operating system, install "Client Windows 10" - CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
- Unzip the downloaded file. Inside open the directory you find called something like "ThinPrint Client Windows..."
- Open the directory you find inside called "Software" -
- Run the .exe file you find inside the "Software" directory (titled like "Setup_ThinPrint.... .exe" )
- Agree to the license agreement, and hit "next" through all the prompts. The basic default settings on all pages are fine. Hit "Install" when prompted. Hit "Finished" when prompted
If you log back into ResiDex after this and are still unable to print: Log out of ResiDex and reboot your local computer. You should be good to go!
Still having problems? Getting a specific error message?
- Incorrect characters appear on printed reports / first page of a report is garbled - report previews correctly.
- "Presentation Foundation Terminal Server Print W"