ResiDex Fall Risk Tool
Assessing and minimizing the risk of falling is an important nursing activity and a common quality management concern. ResiDex offers a fall risk assessment tool developed by the Missouri Alliance for Health Care (the MAHC 10) that offers several advantages:
- It is a tested and validated tool
- It is integrated into data already entered into ResiDex (diagnoses, medications, fall incidents, assessment items, etc.)
- It is updated with each assessment or clinical review
- It can easily be updated and printed as a subset assessment
Fall Risk Tool - Setup:
If you do not have the MAHC 10 Fall Risk tool in your RTasks Clinical Assessments presently, contact ResiDex support staff and we will assist in adding this to your assessments.
The MAHC 10 can be added to Admission and Clinical Assessments; in addition, a subset assessment can be added. This allows the Fall Risk to be re-calculated after a fall without performing a full reassessment.
Some assessment questions may need to be added in order to pull the data that factors into the fall risk score. The MAHC 10 pulls data specifically:
- Age 65 + - calculated from the date of birth on the resident profile
- Diagnoses (3 or more co-existing) - based upon the number of current diagnoses in the resident profile
- Prior History of Falls within 3 months - pulled from incidents
- Incontinence - from the assessment > Physical or ADL needs sections in which incontinence is identified
- Visual Impairment - from the assessment > Physical > Vision category
- Impaired Functional Mobility - from the assessment > ADLs > Mobility Transfer and Mobility Ambulation categories
- Environmental Hazards - from the assessment > IND > Manage Environment assessment item
- Poly Pharmacy - pulls from the number of scheduled meds entered for that resident in the profile
- Pain affecting level of function - pulls from the assessment > Physical > Pain assessment item
- Cognitive Impairment - pulls from the assessment > Soc/Cog > Mental Status and/or Orientation items.
Below is a partial sample of the Fall Risk Assessment Tool report, showing fall risk categories and the points that are automatically assigned.