ResiDex Fall Risk Tool
Assessing and minimizing the risk of falling is an important nursing activity and a common quality management concern. ResiDex offers a fall risk assessment tool developed by the Missouri Alliance for Health Care (the MAHC 10) that offers several advantages:
- It is a tested and validated tool
- It is integrated into data already entered into ResiDex (diagnoses, medications, fall incidents, assessment items, etc.)
- It is updated with each assessment or clinical review
- It can easily be updated and printed as a subset assessment
Fall Risk Tool - Setup:
If you do not have the MAHC 10 Fall Risk tool in your RTasks Clinical Assessments presently, contact ResiDex support staff and we will assist in adding this to your assessments.
The MAHC 10 can be added to Admission and Clinical Assessments; in addition, a subset assessment can be added. This allows the Fall Risk to be re-calculated after a fall without performing a full reassessment.
Some assessment questions may need to be added in order to pull the data that factors into the fall risk score. The MAHC 10 pulls data specifically:
- Age 65 + - calculated from the date of birth on the resident profile
- Diagnoses (3 or more co-existing) - based upon the number of current diagnoses in the resident profile
- Prior History of Falls within 3 months - pulled from incidents
- Incontinence - from the assessment > Physical or ADL needs sections in which incontinence is identified
- Visual Impairment - from the assessment > Physical > Vision category
- Impaired Functional Mobility - from the assessment > ADLs > Mobility Transfer and Mobility Ambulation categories
- Environmental Hazards - from the assessment > IND > Manage Environment assessment item
- Poly Pharmacy - pulls from the number of scheduled meds entered for that resident in the profile
- Pain affecting level of function - pulls from the assessment > Physical > Pain assessment item
- Cognitive Impairment - pulls from the assessment > Soc/Cog > Mental Status and/or Orientation items.
Viewing and Summarizing Fall Risk
The MAHC 10 Fall Risk tool is integrated into the assessment. As the nurse is nearing completion of the assessment, they will be able to view and summarize resident fall risk in the Summary Section of the assessment.
- Select the Missouri Alliance for Health Care item
- Clicking on any of the 'Fall Risk Assessment Tool' links will open up the details of the assessment. View the resident score here. Note: One item (Prior History of Falls within 3 months) relies on data entered as an incident report. For assessments completed within the first 3 months of the resident's stay, consider adjusting the score based upon knowledge of fall history prior to move-in, and entering the adjusted score in the note field.
- Indicate by clicking whether the resident is at increased risk or not
- Specify actions taken to minimize risk of falling. This is a good place to add interventions as snippets.
Fall Risk Subset Assessment
If set up as a subset assessment, it is easy to recalculate fall risk after a resident fall - simply document and review the incident, then followup by performing the subset Fall Risk assessment, re-evaluate risk of falling and need for additional interventions. Subset assessments will update questions but NOT push the update out to staff to review. If you choose to also update the Master Care Plan for staff, complete a full Clinical Update.