Requirements & Recommendations
RTasks.net is accessible from Windows computers & tablets, Apple computers, iPads, & iPhones, Android tablets & smartphones, and ChromeBooks.
Windows & Apple Computer Requirements
- High Speed internet access is required.
- At least 4GB of RAM is recommended.
- Apple: MAC OS X and later are versions supported.
- Windows Computers: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Server 2008 and later are all supported. Must be kept up-to-date with all Windows updates (check for Windows Updates here.)
Mobile Devices (iPads & other tablet computers, Smartphones)
RTasks.net is compatible with iPads, Android and Windows tablets, iPhones, Android Smartphones, and Google ChromeBooks.
- Mobile devices must have all operating system updates
- An internet connection is required, ideally provided via a strong WiFi signal
- A 'modern' web browser is required (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari). Google Chrome is recommended. We do not support generic web browsers, Amazon Silk, or IE 10 or before.
- Your organization should consider how your hardware will be supported - if devices are damaged or need support, where will that help come from? This is particularly important for organizations without formal internal IT support.
- If you have unreliable or incomplete WiFi coverage, RTasks Unplugged will help!
Data Plans are not required. A data plan or connection to a mobile hot spot with a data plan will work, however WiFi will typically offer significantly better performance at a smaller cost.
For RTasks, any size iPad will work well; there is no need to use anything other than a base-model, Wi-Fi-only iPad.
Any size iPhone will work well.
Android tablets and smartphones
- Any size screen Android smartphone or tablet will work.
- We only recommend the 'high end' price range Android devices.
- We specifically recommend against low-priced Android tablets - very inexpensive Android tablets have been where our users have encountered the most hardware issues (battery duration problems, screen problems, charging problems, general usability problems).
ChromeBooks work well for using RTasks.net, and all associated features (including E-MAR). They are most commonly used by our clients for E-MAR purposes on medication carts, in place of laptops.
The Windows Surface Pro / Surface RT line of tablets is popular and is versatile for users who need a more full featured Windows device. We recommend the higher end of Windows tablet devices, as there is a wide range of quality.
Fewer than 1% of all RTasks users use Kindle Fire devices. Technically, RTasks.net can be used on a Kindle Fire tablet, but it is not recommended for a few reasons:
- In our experience Kindle Fire tablets do not perform well against other similar devices
- Kindle Fire devices come with an added complication: Special customization is very strongly recommended to use RTasks:
The default web browser on a Kindle tablet is Amazon's "Silk" web browser. While this can be used to access RTasks, we cannot guarantee users accessing RTasks.net through the "Silk" web browser will have access to all RTasks features. Therefore, we very strongly recommend any Kindle Fire used to access RTasks.net has a supported modern web browser (Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome) installed and used to access RTasks.
Steps to install a supported web browser on a Kindle Fire device
To use ResiDex Hosting or RTasks, you need to have a High Speed Internet connection. We recommend an internet connection with a download speed of at least 12 MBPS. In general, the faster internet download speed you have, the better performance you will experience.
How to check your internet connection speed.